Useful digital marketing info.

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Guria in Excelsis

John hated being called a salesman. He was a "biz dev" guy or better yet, an entrepreneur, maybe even a visionary. Most of all, though, he was a showman, someone who wanted to live in the limelight. His student days as "ents officer" were always close at hand. And there was that glint in his eye when name-dropping celebrity chums or clients, like the band Massive Attack. Yes, the world has definitely lost more than just a salesman.

We met in 2000 as employees of Marketing Week magazine, producing an internet-focused spin-off, me on the journalistic side and he on the sales biz dev side. Alongside us was his junior partner JJ. Initially things went well as we rode a cresting wave of Web enthusiasm. But after the dotcom bubble burst, our advertising revenue began to collapse and my promised editorial support never arrived. We gradually crossed into dangerous desperado territory, tearing down the iron curtain between our two professions. I ended up going on countless business lunches with John, as we both tried to woo new advertisers. Meanwhile, John began to fantasize about having his own column in the magazine. He would, he assured me, bring a unique perspective.

We were a classic combination of chalk and cheese, a real odd couple: John's glass was always half-full while mine was half-empty. I was a pedantic, words person while John certainly wasn't. Watching him operate, up close and personal, was fascinating to me, who had always been kept far away from the non-editorial side of things. I felt like David Attenborough gazing at some exotic wildlife. As I sat through all those client-schmoozing lunches, I marvelled at John's ability to speak a kind of language that seemed nonsensical and bizarre. And yet it sort of worked, at least as far as his audience was concerned. In fact I too was usually persuaded by John's daft charm, his enthusiasm and flattery and all-round zest for life.

Of course he had his demons and weaknesses, as do many in the persuasion business. Being relentlessly positive and gung-ho can make a man tired and promotional. For John, there was a heavy price to pay in terms of his health.

But despite the darkening shadow towards the end of John's life, my memories of him are full of fun and laughter. I particularly remember nearly losing all composure as we sat opposite a sober and stern client at lunch. On our way to the restaurant I had told John how amusing I found it that he still seemed to be living in the 1980s, with his fondness for liquid lunches, while all around him clients were defecting to the mineral water generation. Ever the persuader, John's patter would invariably go: "Drinks ? Wine ? Red ? White ? Sancerre ?" It was doubly funny: first because of his trying to arm-twist them into drinking alcohol and, second, because he would always end up proposing the only type of wine he actually knew by name.

The real gem in this comedy was the way he would pause before each question, trying to sound nonchalant, as if he had no agenda, while the pause before "Sancerre?" was meant to imply that as a wine connoisseur he had just thought of a particularly suitable grape for today. On the aforementioned lunch John knew that I knew his dirty little secret, and we both struggled heroically not to collapse into childish giggles. For a few very long seconds our professionalism hung by a thread.

There are many other fond memories of my almost three years working with John, and he liked to reminisce about our "glory days" long after they were over. John found me as intriguingly different to himself as I did him. Yet we also clicked, I suppose, as mavericks, oddballs, outsiders and this unlikely connection is what sustained our friendship after we'd both left the sinking ship.

John's powers of persuasion led me to set up this blog, whose original mission was to promote the Sao Paulo office of a digital marketing agency he was trying to establish. He called it Queensberry Rules Media because we were supposed to be a fine English Gentleman whose pedigree and integrity would separate us from the crowd. The name seemed a bit naff to me but once again John's enthusiasm carried the day as he spoke about his plans for a Queensberry Rules global empire. For various reasons it never got off the ground and this blog soon morphed into a personal account of my colourful but troubled time in Brazil.

My contact with John in recent years was more by phone than in person but we would often have lengthy chats covering the gamut of personal, political, business, news and gossip. And of course he would always compliment me on my skills as a journalist and writer. Since I was no longer making a living as such, it was a welcome ego boost. In our most recent, and as it turned out, final phone chat, John's flattery went into overdrive.

I knew John had had at least one brush with death but most of us fail to connect such near-misses with the real thing. When it comes to death, proximity doesn't really exist: you're either alive or you're dead. So when I was sent an email by JJ informing me that "our brother" John had passed away, I was shocked. Really shocked. And that feeling seemed to grow over the next couple of days. How could it be that someone as full of life as John was suddenly gone ?

I suppose his untimely passing will one day seem less shocking. But for now I feel his loss more than I could have imagined, as I'm sure do many others who might previously have thought of John as "just" a work colleague. Whether he was a salesman, or an entrepreneur or an ents officer, or a web optimisation guru or the King of Big Red Bus party hires, John was, above all, a big-hearted friend, a dreamer whose grandiose plans and ambitions never quite managed to hide his touching vulnerability. And as a friend, he knew the value of loyalty.

Johny G, "007", you were one of a kind. I will miss you and remember you with a smile, even if I don't feel like smiling just yet.

Rest in peace, John.

8 comments:

  1. Couldn't have put it better myself. Miss him a lot. If ever the term salesman was used probably the best ever would qualify it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I knew John at Haymarket. A million years ago when we were both media sales execs. He was a unique character, hugely liked. I had no idea he'd died. He just crossed my mind and I googled his name and found your post. Thank you for writing this tribute. It sums him up so well. I'm so shocked and sorry to hear he's no longer alive. I'm glad he had a good friend to write this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorraine, I dont really use or check this blog anymore but happened to look at it just now and saw your quite recent comment. I'm very glad you drew some comfort from this post and that you felt it was true to who John was. My shock at his passing has receded but the sadness at a friend taken too soon is still there. All the best, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps. I think John's spirit helped optimize this blog so that your Google search for his name led you here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob,

    Thanks so much for this post. I have read it before, when I learned of Johny G's death.

    Recently, I was reminiscing about my start in the London agency world.

    I wrote a post about him in my Facebook Group, and will be sending an email to my list. I hope you don’t mind, but I linked to this post, telling people to read it, because I found it to be a beautiful tribute to the man who taught me so much. No wonder JG saw such talent in your writing. I’m honestly a little jealous of your chops. I can only aspire to write something so touching yet at times, hilarious.

    I’ve pasted it below. I hope you don’t mind. I wish I’d got the chance to thank him, but I was too young and immature to express that kind of emotion to another man the last time I had contact with him, in 2010-2011-ish.

    ----

    I've been reminiscing today over people who mentored me when I arrived in London for my first 'professional' job at SEO agency, Weboptimiser, in 2006. I was so green. I'd never done a sales pitch in my life.

    Johny G was a special guy. He took me on my first sales pitch ever within my first week at my new job. We won it. I remember him calling the office after it, talking up my performance to the business's other directors. "Jon was amazing! He's a natural!" he told them, with genuine enthusiasm in his voice.

    We went on to win the next 10 sales pitches together in a row. 10-0 record. Not a bad start. It gave me confidence in an area I had previously had none. I learned so much from him. He was a man of unparalleled charisma and ability.

    Tragically, he had his demons and was taken from us far too soon.

    Make sure you thank the people who nurtured you and helped give you your first start when you have the chance. I never got the opportunity to thank John properly but I will remain forever grateful.

    Thank you, John Guria. I will never forget the many merry evenings we shared celebrating the deals we had won together. Often dancing on the tables of the many pubs of Southwark and Liverpool St or whatever other corner of London we found ourselves in that day. All on the company dime, of course. 😃

    This article describes John better than I can. I hope you enjoy it. It's beautifully written, and at points, hilarious. He deserves to be remembered and celebrated. His influence lives on in me to this day.

    https://goneonholidayforawhile.blogspot.com/2015/04/death-of-showman.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob,

    I'd love to see more of your writing. I'm going through your blog now. However, I'd love to read your older stuff, that Johny G may have praised in the past.

    I know I'm a stranger and you don't owe me a thing, but this post really touched me and I felt from reading previous comments on this blog, you wouldn't mind me asking.

    I'll keep my fingers, toes, and other appendages crossed you still get alerts when new comments are added to this post, and I'll be genuinely grateful and excited if I look back and see a comment from you in response. :)


    As Johny G once said to me: "You don't ask, you don't get."

    Cheers,

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon, thank you for your very kind words, which I've just noticed, and I'm glad m you also made your own tribute to Johny G. It's a funny thought that my obit to the person who inspired this blog seems to be giving it a certain life after death :) Afraid I can't really think of particular articles I wrote separate to this blog, it's lost in the mists of time now. It was certainly an exciting time to be writing about the internet back when John and I worked together in the early Noughties. All the best, Rob.

    ReplyDelete