Useful digital marketing info.

Thursday 28 April 2011

Him indoors

Wherever I lay my laptop ...
Most of the time, like most people, I live indoors. And most of the time, while living indoors, I am online. Yet I am supposed to be "living" in a foreign country far across the great wide sea. What would life have been like for me these past six months had I, as was the case in the first week or so, not been able to live in my virtual country ? It would surely have been unimaginably different. Would I have bought a TV and watched endless hours of terrestrial Brazilian television, mind-numbing opium ?

Before the internet, the zombified couch-potato is often what happened, and pathetically it somehow counted towards "life" in a foreign clime. But post-internet there can be no such fakery. Of all the minutes, hours, days, weeks and months I have "lived" in Brazil, I suspect only a small fraction of that was outdoors and offline. Being online does of course allow me to read about  Brazil, to learn its language, to "talk" to Brazilians (who may or may not be in Brazil); it allows me to blog about my thoughts and impressions of what I have "seen" here (both indoors and outdoors).

But the essence of pre-internet travel and sojourning was the rupture with the old country, indeed with any country other than the one whose air you were inhaling. There was the perceived need to "go native", the disappearance from view as far as your old-country family and friends were concerned, making the subsequent reappearance all the more tantalising. The weary traveller returns, full of (tall) tales. Would I prefer to go back to such times ? Well, life would also have to return to a much more formal pattern, things would have to be much clearer and more circumscribed; none of this "wherever I lay my laptop, that's my home" mentality.

Maybe our current illusion of godlike ubiquity tempts us into being everywhere but nowhere, and maybe this is a dangerous game. Travelling without moving, living in a country called Online and merely "visiting" everywhere else. But, of course, the most foreign country of them all is The Past, so what's the point in spending any more time worrying about a way of life that has gone forever ?

Here, there and everywhere, for better or for worse, I am simultaneously at home and abroad.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very philosophical existential crisis you're having. What's your views of Rio?

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life has always been a philosophical existential crisis Jon, so no change there. Other people might call it simply a poetic or intellectual sensibility indicative of no "crisis" at all, just healthy cogitation in which more people should indulge. Do you remember when you confidently told Josh there was no God, he was how old, eight ? And you were not much older.

    Rio ? Well, let's just say that I have ticked it off the list of places to see. Some very nice rodizio food, some lovely panoramic vistas from up on the hill with Jesus or Sugar loaf mountain (although my vertigo made me keen to get back down). I'm not really a beach person so that didn't do much for me. Much of the city's poor infrastructure and aesthetics were the usual Brazilian downer. The highlight was Josh meeting Sam. Don't imagine I'll be rushing back anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why my aetheistic period is so well remembered - my brother even brought it up during his best man's speech. Josh was about 6 or 7 I believe.

    If you don't like Rio then I'm not sure Brazil's the country for you. It's not just the spectacular views, but the ambience, smiling happy people, great weather, much of zona sul can be walked around, and there is still some great colonial architecture. Perhaps you should try Sao Luis instead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why and when did your precocious atheism end ?!

    Interesting comments re. Rio ... maybe if I was there longer .. there were some nice faded colonial buildings dotted around .. Brazil isn't the country for me, that's clear enough by now, I can't pretend to be excited by things which "ought" to excite me.

    ReplyDelete