Useful digital marketing info.

Monday 18 July 2011

Facing the music *

A late-night downloading of Steve Winwood's greatest hits album, "Revolutions". Done in a few minutes. Thank you iTunes for being such a valuable lifeline - for movie rentals too, such as the brave and bleak documentary, "Mugabe and the White African", which we watched the other day. Puts our frustrations into perspective.

Steve Winwood's 1980s music is something I used to listen to quite often. It was on a home-made tape cassette. But that was long ago and I'd pretty much forgotten about him. Not sure what prompted my memory but very glad it was prompted. Listening to all 17 tracks on this download was the perfect accompaniment to a late-night session in our apartment building's gym.

Spanning his entire career, from the Spencer Davis Group, to Blindfaith and Traffic and finally his solo work, the raw blues and soul moved to experimental 70s and then culminated in the wall of sound of the 80s, ideal for a more warmed-up workout on the cross-trainer.

The synthesised sounds and funkier bass of the Duran Duran decade somehow don't detract from Winwood's soulful, yearning voice. Call me a Winwood lightweight but I think the 1980s stuff is his finest hour. Songs like While You See a Chance; Back in the Highlife Again; Valerie; and Higher Love. Wonderful. Simultaneously intimate, with words you can actually hear, but also a big, wavelike sound.

That said, I was happy to have another blast from the 70s as the final track, whose slower tempo and sparser feel was just right for the cooling down part of my workout.

And as nocturnal music therapy goes, some of these sounds and lyrics are just what the doctor ordered. Poetic and motivational nuggets such as:

"We'll be back in the high life again. All the doors I closed one time will open up again."

"Worlds are turning and we're just hanging on
Facing our fear and standing out there alone
A yearning, and it's real to me
There must be someone who's feeling for me."

"Bring me a higher love." A sentiment that seems to fall flat when viewed as five simple words but which comes alive when cloaked in Winwood's musical magic.

* Also the title of a sadly neglected but inspirational BBC reality-tv series.

2 comments:

  1. A Brummie genius!! The SDG provided a backdrop to my mod days. I love Winward's solo stuff too - I don't remember tracks like 'Valerie' and 'Higher Love' actually being released - I just always loved them and now they are iTunes favourites. I agree - very uplifting.

    The guy at Park Avenue (remember Park Ave?) who used to write the music for our launches and videos, Phil Sawyer, was Winward's replacement in the Spencer Davis Group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I share your good taste Amanda ! Didn't know he was a Brummie. And fascinating "it's a small world" info about the guy at Park Ave. Wow, that takes me back, and of course that marketing director there who died young, right ? It's funny talking to you on here and casting my mind back to those strange far-off days at Marketing magazine ! Weren't you about the first PR person I ever met as a journo ?! And also I think the first person who commissioned me when I went freelance, with that Earls Court Olympia history ?! You keep popping up at important moments ... excellent !

    ReplyDelete