Useful digital marketing info.

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Jam tomorrow ?

Many people have commented on Brazil's need to add value, to take its God-given natural bounty and transform it into products worthy of a fast-developing country. Instead, it lets European, US and Chinese companies buy low and sell high. Jam, for example, costs a fortune here, and only a bit less if you're prepared to settle for the synthetic, over-sugared goo produced by domestic manufacturers. Yet you often see street vendors hawking fresh strawberries, such as these pictured. I bought them just now for 10 reais, which is about £4, or one pound a pack. Granted, that is cheaper than usual, which might be three for a tenner on the street or five reais each in the shops. I'm thinking of trying to turn them into jam myself, guessing that, if I can make a decent go of it, the economics of fresh home-made jam will be very attractive. I imagine that would not be the case in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment