Useful digital marketing info.

Saturday 13 August 2011

More from Jonathan, the ratings winner !

In journalism people used to say that such and such "makes good copy". Perhaps they still do. The implication is that, irrespective of the truth or importance behind the "story", it will get people reading. And as we were always told in Journalism 101, without readers you might as well pack up and go home. Journalism is "infotainment", information always allied, however slightly, to entertainment. If you want to read something just for the "facts", pick up an instruction manual or a dry academic thesis.

A blog is obviously something different. It can be as slavishly self-indulgent as you wish, knowing that primarily you're writing it for yourself and perhaps just one or two others. This blog's readership to date suggests that, like most blogs, my ramblings remain an extremely minority interest. And that's usually how I like it. But occasionally my inner-megalomaniac hopes for more, and that's when the Google Stats become fascinating reading. If, like yesterday, the viewing figures seem to jump unexpectedly for a particular post, the old journalistic ghost in me can't help getting a bit of a kick out of it.

Anyway, with that said, here's more from Jonathan, whose controversial comments a couple of posts back surprisingly generated more than the usual number of "eyeballs". As before, the same caveats about this being just one person's views and experiences apply.

"Rob, am I pushing some buttons with my crisp language such as "primitive locals" ? I mean, that's what they are: self-styled professionals who think they can outsmart those with more than an eighth grade education !

"You see, it's a pervasive mentality in Brazil. For example, when I was in the emergency room of Hospital das Clinicas in Sao Paulo, this security bozo monitoring the ridiculous pick-a-number queuing system kept insulting the patients waiting for medical care ... until he barked at me. Then I confronted him and his obnoxious behaviour. I asked him to sit down and sarcastically added that he should not put himself out for those sick and in need of emergency medical help. I told him we were all merely inquiring about how this primitive system worked.

"He then backed down. Once in the treatment room, the surgeons asked me about my profession and where I was from. As soon as I told them, everything was sweetness and light and I was treated with the greatest respect. Things moved fast. I had major surgery using the Federal system within thirty days, which is very unusual.

"Another incident happened in a Brasilia hospital when I finally confronted the person in charge and said I would not tolerate being insulted anymore. I also reported him. At that point, I was attended immediately.

"And it's not just me. One of my old Brazilian friends from high school tells me: "I will never return to live in Brazil". Actually, he puts it a bit less politely.

"This basic lack of respect and professionalism is everywhere in Brazil. After interviews with consulting firms, they don't even bother sending out a courtesy email letting you know that nothing is available at the moment but they will keep your resume on file. You hear nothing from them.

"The incident in Brasilia with the Director of a Law School and public prosecutor showed how much they try to take advantage even at the highest levels. I negotiated a million dollar contract for them at no cost, just to show what I could do. But I said if you want the deal sealed you will have to hire me at least as a consultant. He refused to. His position was: seal the deal then we will consider hiring you. To which I said, good luck trying to do it by yourselves, and of course the deal did not go forward.

"My next step will be to try my luck in Manaus. If nothing there, I'll probably head back to Miami. At least there I have a place to live and friends."




5 comments:

  1. Go back to Miami JOnathan. If there was ever a case for reinforcing arrogant US stereotypes, you're it. And btw Rob - I read your blogs irrespective of content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, as my dear sister, your readership is especially valuable !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Miami the US these days, or a Brazilian colony ?!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miami is a Brazilian, Cuban, German, Haitian, Jamaican, Russian, and others -it's not Alabama or Kansas. 'Pushing the envelope' only makes you think outside of an 'overly protected sheltered bubble' Being a cast of the "The Truman Show" Jim Carey is a choice the alternative is making a difference. The other subject that I enjoy probing is 'organized religion' and brainwashing methods used to control the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment from Jonathan:

    "Deb, I'm actually a third-culture person ("TCK") not entirely of one
    culture but one of many -as some may classify as a Cultural Enigma often
    called a cultural chameleon. I was born in Sao Paulo, and left Brazil
    when I was 18, almost being drafted in the mandatory Brazilian Military
    as an Officer."

    ReplyDelete