Useful digital marketing info.

Saturday 20 August 2011

Squeaky men & booming babies

I do it myself sometimes. Most men do. Suddenly slip into an emasculating high-pitched squeak. Israeli men are particularly funny in this regard, as they instantly skip several octaves and mutate from from macho to mouse. I suppose it happens when guys are feeling stressed or defensive. Here in Brazil I see far too much squeakiness, and of a more worryngly permanent type. Cabbies, waiters and good ol' boy blue-collar workers, they're all at it.

The latest example came today, as our taxi driver replied to a question from P. There was that strange castrato sound again, emanating from a solid-looking Brazilian male. Perhaps this curious cultural quirk is yet another sign of misplaced servility, a timorous tic that constricts the vocal cords ?

The only really manly sounds I hear these days come from my son. His pre-verbal and post-passive phase means a sometimes endless barrage of sonic booms, as in "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment