Useful digital marketing info.

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Things I like about Sao Paulo, no.s 5 and 6

Actually, not sure if they are numbers five and six, must check back to that post I did trying, and failing, to counterbalance my many negatives in SP. But you get the point, I'm sure. So let's call it number five, and a big hand for the Sala Sao Paulo, a magnificent concert hall just down the road from us, here in Bom Retiro. Beautiful space, visually and aurally pleasing, in what was once a train station and then, whisper it, a political prison during the military dictatorship. But blotting out that memory for a moment, we now have a concert venue attached to a still in use train station. How amazing to travel literally door to door for a concert. Sadly, your typical concert goer in this city moves only by car. The train is for the lower orders. I'm sure the Brits who built this station and the nearby Luz would be shocked to see how Brazil had failed to capitalise on and appreciate the wonders of rail travel. Anyway, going to Sala again tnight to hear an Israeli jazz singer, called something Cohen.

Attraction number 6: tube trains which, at least when I go to and from Marechal Deodoro station from Tiradents, seem always to be very frequent and efficient. Luckily for me, I am not traveling at rush hour when, P assures me, it is a nightmare.

Update: Avishay Cohen. On double bass, plus drummer and pianist, all 3 Israeli. Very good jazz funk with bits of Yonatan Ratzel and Michael Nyman influence. Not convinced that double bass will ever be interesting enough as a solo instrument, however it's played. I kept thinking a bass guitar would have done just as well, or better. Solos on piano and drums more exciting. Not a packed house but crowd enthusiastic. Tickets were 140 Reis, about £55, for an hour or or so performance. Not worth it in my book but since we got free tickets (P's new employer a sponsor of Sala So Paulo) I'm not complaining (for a change). Nice booze and bites before concert and wonderful to have all this just a very short taxi ride away. Throw in free babysitting from new live-in nanny and I'm giddy with gaiety. And as always glorious to see our sleeping beauty back at the ranch.



2 comments:

  1. I recommend going to the Teatro Municipal in Centro - London quality performances in a world class venue. The best cultural experience in SP.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete